Back in 2003, innocent invited people to make little woolly hats as part of their Big Knit campaign. The hats were put on their smoothie bottles and for each drink sold, 25p was donated to Age UK. Since then 7.5 million hats have been made, and nearly £2.5 million has been raised.
I’ve made a few hats over the years, using patterns I’ve found online, but this time I’m trying to create my own.
My first one is this smiley octopus.
Octopus Big Knit hat pattern (UK terminology)
Using DK yarn with a 3.5mm hook and the amigurumi method (i.e. continuous rounds).
ch = chain
dc = double crochet
ss = slip stitch
- Make a magic ring and ch 1
- Round 1 – 6dc into magic ring (6)
- Round 2 – 2dc into each dc around (12)
- Round 3 – (2dc in next dc, dc in next dc) x 6 (18)
- Round 4 – (2dc in next dc, dc in next two dcs) x 6 (24)
- Rounds 5-11 – dc in each dc around (24)
to make the tentacles
- Round 12 – ss into next dc, (ch 20, work dc into 2nd ch from hook, work dc into each ch to end, ss in next dc from the previous round, ss in next two stitches) x 8
Finish off and weave in ends. Using a contrasting yarn sew on eyes and a mouth.