My latest completed project is this granny stitch tablecloth which is covering my much-used stained and scratched garden table. It was a great yarn stash buster of a project.
It started off life quite differently as a freeform crocheted mandala. I love mandalas, they’re so bright and colourful, especially the ones made using different stitch combinations. I started making this back in June 2017 and enjoyed adding more and more colourful rows over the following weeks.
As time went on, I got increasingly concerned about how much it was ruffling up. I thought I might be able to flatten it by blocking it, but unfortunately, that didn’t work.
Out of despair, I put it away in my craft box and got on with other projects. Every now and then it would catch my eye, and I would think about how I could fix it. Eventually, I decided that it was beyond repair and undid the rounds back to where it started to ruffle. This ended up being most of the mandala, so I gave up and frogged the whole thing!
I didn’t give up on the idea of making a tablecloth, but it wasn’t until earlier this year that I decided to have a second attempt. This time I looked online for a pattern and came across this one from Crafternoon Treats.
I more or less followed the pattern but added increase rows when I thought they were needed, rather than sticking strictly to the formula. It certainly seemed to stay flat after each round, but still needed a bit of blocking when I’d finished it. I left out the increase stitches in the last few rounds so that it would curl up at the edges and fit the shape of the table.
Although it was a project two years in the making, in the end, it didn’t take too long to complete. I was mightily relieved when I came to fit it to the table for the first time and it actually stayed on!