Look, I’m sorry if I sound like a broken record, but this was yet another kit with dreadful instructions and with pieces missing.
I don’t need to be spoon-fed instructions but at the very least I’d like to have proper steps, or pictures, showing how to make something that I’ve never attempted before.
This kit contained some die-cut card shapes which, when rolled, should form roses. It doesn’t suggest how large the finished roses should be, and rolling the card was far from easy because you either had a load of pointy bits at the bottom, making the rose quite tall, or you had a very wide rose, which looked too loose. I looked online to see if I could find better instructions but had no joy, so I persevered as best I could. I hate giving up on things.
The instructions said that it would take approximately 50 roses to cover the ball. I had already spotted that not enough pins were included, but this wasn’t a big problem as I have plenty at home.
I pinned about 15 roses around the ball but really didn’t like how they looked. I mean, it’s white card; how can you get excited about white card? I’d lost a few roses while rolling them because the points between the petals, where the template narrowed, were too, ahem, narrow, and unsurprisingly they tore. Even so, there weren’t enough provided to complete one ball, but there were a couple of plastic templates, which I presume you’re supposed to use to make your own.
Some little diamond gems were included – absolutely no mention of them in the instructions – so I tried gluing a couple into the centre of two roses to see if it would bring it to life. It didn’t. After two more attempts, I gave up.
I remember seeing some of the finished pomanders at the craft show where I bought the kit, and they looked really nice. Well, this just looks like a bit of old tat. So much so that it’s the first of my kits (I think ever) that I’ve thrown away (well, thrown away the bits that I can’t salvage to make something better).
Really, really disappointing.