A little home decor

Where has this year gone already? It’s been a while since I’ve written anything, but I have been pottering about making a few things for my newly decorated bedroom.

The first project was a cover for a large cushion I’ve had for years. I made a simple envelope cover out of this John Lewis fabric.

Cushion cover

Then I had a go at upholstering a kidney-shaped stool, which goes with a vintage dressing table I inherited from my nanna. This was quite tricky. While I roughly knew what I needed to do, I couldn’t find any online tutorials to confirm my thinking. I started by painting the legs, one of which suddenly decided that it didn’t want to screw into the base any longer. I found an online solution for this, which suggested gluing cocktail sticks into the hole and then drilling a pivot hole so that the leg could screw tightly into it. This didn’t work. Worse than that, the base is hollow, so when I came to screw the leg back in, the cocktail sticks broke off and fell into it and now rattle around when I move it! I had a brainwave which was to drill another hole into the seat base, as close to the original as possible. Miraculously this worked!

Kidney shaped stool

Then, once painted, the next issue to tackle was how to cover it. The base is quite deep, so the best approach seemed to be to cover the side first and then make a cushion to attach to it. I managed to fix the fabric around the base, securing it in place with a staple gun. Next, I had to cut the foam, which was difficult because I didn’t have the right tools for the job, but thankfully the cushion cover hides all the bumpy bits. 

I fitted the remaining fabric to the foam and used some super strong tape to secure it to the base. It didn’t quite look right, so I cut a thin strip of fabric to cover the join between the seat and the cushion. When I held it up against the seat, it looked like it would be the perfect finishing touch, but once sewn into place, it just looked wrong.

Kidney shaped stool

So I bought even more fabric and covered the whole of it, which is what I should have done in the first place! It’s far from perfect, but it will do!

My final project was a shaggy rag rug, which I thought would help protect the new carpet from the stool legs. I used old bed linen to make the rag pieces, and I had some hessian from a previous project. This was very therapeutic – I do love rag rugging!

I still have one thing to make, which is a wall hanging. This is on the back burner at the moment as I’ve since started another couple of projects, as you do.

Advertisement

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s